Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2011

Say What!?!?!

Okay, Okay.......I'll admit it:
I can have a teeny bit of an attitude sometimes. (STOP LAUGHING!!!)
On top of that, I consider myself an expert in the language of sarcasm.

As far as the sarcasm goes, I have always made sarcastic comments to the kids as well.  It's not because I can't restrain myself (again with the laughing?!), but more because I refuse to raise a bunch of pansy kids who can't take a joke and take everything personally. I grew up that way, and it took me years to learn to see the humor in life--not a fun way to live!

That being said......my kids have become young Jedi Masters in the arts of both attitude and sarcasm. Secretly, I am so impressed that I sometimes want to bow down in amazement!!!

I have been hit with some of the best one-liners in the book....
all from kids 7 and under:

One particularly rainy day, I demanded that the Ref finally turn the Wii off.....
I was graced with the response, "Look, you spent good money on this thing....I'm just trying to make good on your investment!" (He's 7!!!! That's enough Fox Business Channel for you, boy!!!)

Last week, we were all playing the game "Sorry Sliders". The Instigator was losing (I'm TOO competitive to let even a  5yr old win playing by his own rules---they're called "rules" for a reason, people!!). He got so angry, that he finally just threw my players off the board and laughed....when I asked WHY he would do that, I was told...."Mom, the name of the game is "Sorry", if you didn't want me to do that we should have played something else!!"

Today, my Princess beat every sarcastic comment I have EVER made in my life!!!
She was throwing a major tantrum about not getting to have cookies for breakfast. With every breath, she started showing her A$$ more and more....Eventually, I turned to her and said,
"Girl, you'd better watch your attitude!!!"
Without missing a beat, she looks me dead in the eye, crosses her arms, and says,
"Why?!? It's not GOING anywhere!!!"

I wasn't sure whether to beat her butt or give her an Academy Award!!!
Like I said, I want them to learn not to take everything personally and to laugh at life's little mishaps.

Because of this, I have ONE unspoken rule in my house:

If it makes me laugh out loud......you're off the hook!!

I don't know how anyone can look a kid straight in the face and punish them when inside you are beaming with pride that they are the funniest person on the planet!!!

Give me that attitude again without the one-liner, though......
and I'll smack that sarcasm into next week!!!



1 comment: