Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

A Generation Lost

I chose this blog title for two reasons:

First, and foremost......

Today we lost Frank Buckles, our last living World War I veteran.
Thank you and everyone who fought by your side. Your generation is gone but not forgotten.

He joined the military at the age of 16 and fought in both England and France in order to defend peace and freedom throughout the world. We will be forever grateful for the tireless efforts of all those who served alongside him worldwide.

Now, the courage of those brave WWI soldiers has gotten me to thinking:

What if WWI was fought by the NEWEST Generation?!?!!?
(This is in NO way a criticism of out troops either then or now!! In FACT, it's just the OPPOSITE!  This is just a random observation of how my childrens' generation may have handled the situation....)

Here's the way I see WWI if it had been fought by MY kids' generation:
(I'll focus on  U.S. involvement since I can't even figure out my OWN kids....let alone those in OTHER countries!!!!)
1. We declare war on Germany over the U-boat sinkings......"Huh? What U-boats?!?!? They didn't say anything about that on Sesame Street! This week's letters were A, K, L, Y, and G!!!"

2. "But MOOOOOOM!!! I don't WANT to go to war!!! Can't you write a letter to someone and tell them that I'm grounded and can't leave the house for a few years?!?!?"

3. They miss EVERY target they try to shoot because they don't have the little red dot on the TV screen!

4. They try to surprise the enemy but get lost along the way and end up in OHIO because they can't find ANYTHING without the GPS lady's voice telling them when to turn!

5. We try to plan a sneak attack, but it gets spoiled because "Not Me" can't keep a secret!

6. "What's wrong with Lusitania? She was in school today!".......The media never gets it right!

7. "Ummmm....yeah....these government issued pants don't fit right. You CAN'T see my butt!!!"

8. "YUUUUCCCKKK! I can't eat this!!! Can't we stop off at McDonald's on the way?!?!?"

9. They argue over where Germany and France ACTUALLY are because, let's face it, they don't teach that stuff anymore!

10. "My name got called up in the draft?!?!?!? OMG!!!! I don't even PLAY Football!!!!! Bring on the sponsorships!!!!!"

Thank you to al of our troops both past and present!

To all of our FUTURE troops.........God help us all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment